Village of Fruitvale Local Government Election Results can be found HERE

Local Government and School Board Trustee Elections are today, Saturday October 15, 2022. Village of Fruitvale and RDKB Residents are voting at the Fruitvale Memorial Centre, 1968 Main Street, Fruitvale, BC. from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. Bring two pieces of ID with you.

Village of Fruitvale residents are voting to fill four Councillor seats and two School Trustee seats.

Regional District of Kootenay Boundary Area 'A' residents are voting to fill two School District #20 School Trustee seats.
































The 2022 General Local Elections will be held on Saturday October 15, 2022 for one Mayor and four Councillors for the Village of Fruitvale at the Fruitvale Memorial Centre from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. 

Declaration of Election
The Chief Election Office for the Village of Fruitvale has declared the 2022 General Local Government Election which can be found HERE.

The Chief Election Officer for the Village of Fruitvale has made a Declaration of Election By Acclamation for the Mayor of the Village of Fruitvale, which can be found HERE

Important Dates

General Voting Day
Saturday, October 15, 2022
at the Fruitvale Memorial Center, 1968 Main Street
from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

Advance Voting Day - for those residents unable to vote on General Voting Day
Wednesday, October 5, 2022
at the Village of Fruitvale Office, 1947 Beaver Street
from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

Special Voting Opportunity - for those residents of Mountain Side Village 
Wednesday, October 12, 2022
at Mountain Side Village, 135 Mountain Side Drive
from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm

Special Voting Opportunity - for those residents of Beaver Valley Senior Citizens Manor 
Wednesday, October 12, 2022
at Beaver Valley Senior Citizens Manor, 24 Laurier Avenue
from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm


How to Vote
To vote in an election, you must be registered as an elector (resident—you live in the community; or non-resident—you own property in the community but live elsewhere). If your name does not appear on the List of Electors, you are not a registered elector.   If you are not on the List of Electors, you may register at the time of voting by completing the require application form available at the voting place.  To register you must met the following qualifactions:

Resident Elector

You are qualified to register as a Resident Elector if you are:

  • 18 years of age or older on general voting day;
  • Canadian citizen;
  • resident of BC. for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration;
  • be a resident of the electoral area on the day of registration.
  • not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in the assent voting and not otherwise disqualified by law.
Rules for Determining Residency – Resident Elector

To determine residency for a resident elector the criteria are as follows:

  • Person is a resident of the area where the person lives and to which, whenever absent, the person intends to return;
  • Person may only be a resident of one area at a time for the purpose of voting in a local government election;
  • Person does not change their area of residence until they have a new area of residence;
  • Person does not cease to be a resident of an area by leaving the area for temporary purposes only;
  • If a person establishes residency in a new area which is away from their usual area of residence for the purpose of attending an educational institution in the new area, the person may choose to vote in either area; but not in both.

Non-Resident Elector

You are eligible to vote as a non-resident property elector when you:

  • You are NOT entitled to register as a Resident Elector of the jurisdiction;
  • You are a Canadian citizen;
  • You are 18 years of age or older on or before general voting day;
  • You have lived in BC for at least 6 months immediately prior to the day of registration;
  • You are the registered owner of real property on the day of registration (Note: the only persons who are registered owners of the real property, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, are individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust);
  • You must only register in relation to one piece of property in the jurisdiction;
  • If more than one person owns the property, only one owner may register and that person must have the written consent of a majority of the other owners; and
  • You are not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other Act from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.

Non-resident property electors must produce 2 pieces of identification (at least one with a signature) to prove identity, proof that they are entitled to register in relation to the property, and, if there is more than one owner of the property, written consent from the majority of the property owners.

Can a corporation vote?
No. A corporation is not entitled to vote.

How to Register:

When registering, you must provide two documents proving your identity and residence*. One of the documents must have your signature.

The following are examples of valid identity documents:a British Columbia Driver’s License**,

  • a British Columbia Identification Card issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch,
  • an Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Insurance issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia,
  • a British Columbia CareCard or British Columbia Gold CareCard,
  • a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8,
  • a Social Insurance Card issued by Human Resources Development  Canada,
  • a Citizenship Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada,
  • a real property tax notice issued under the Local Government Act or the Taxation (Rural Area) Act,
  • a credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution as defined in section 29 of the Interpretation Act, or
  • a utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable services by (i) a public utility as defined in section 1 of the Utilities Commission Act,
  • a gas utility as defined in section 1 of the Gas Utility Act,
  • a water utility as defined in section 1 of the Water Act,
  • the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority, or
  • a corporation licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission for the purpose of that supply.
  • Canadian Passport
  • Canadian Indian Status Card
  • Canadian Firearms License

**A combined British Columbia Driver’s License and Services Card is considered one document.  A second document is still required.

*Proof of ownership of the property in question (for example, your tax notice, or a certificate of title printout). A utility bill or other similar documentation is NOT proof of ownership.

More details about where to vote, voter eligibility, and what voters can expect on voting day will be added here as the election draws near.

To be elected are:

  • one (1) Mayor and four (4) Councillors for Village of Fruitvale Council

Information for Candidates

Thinking of Running for Local Office? Check out the resources here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/local-governments/governance-powers/general-local-elections/thinking-of-running

Important Dates

Important information for candidates on campaign financing and advertising rules can be found here.

Questions on campaign financing and advertising rules should be directed to Elections BC, at 1-800-661-8683, or electoral.finance@elections.bc.ca

Please contact the Chief Election Officer, Karen Halifax by email khalifax@village.fruitvale.bc.ca or call the Village Office at 250-367-7551.

Local Government Election Materials - click on the links to access pdf versions of the materials

Before making the decision to run for local office, it is important to think about how you can best serve your community if you are elected.  Below are links to important Local Government Elections publications. If you are considering running for municipal council, please take the time to read the information below. 

Thinking About Running For Local Office

General Information on Local Elections  

Candidates Guide to Local Elections  

What Every Candidate needs to Know  

Elector Organization Guide to Local Elections in BC

Guide to Supporting a Candidate for Local Elections in BC  

Scrutineers Guide  

Responsible Conduct of Locally Elected Officials

Running for Local Office

Elections BC - 

Elections BC administers campaign financing, disclosure and election advertising rules under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act. Elections BC does not administer voting or candidate nominations for local elections. For more information, see Who Does What in Local Elections.

Elections BC - for information on Campaign Financing, Election Advertising and Third Party Sponsor rules




Monday, June 27, 2022 - 12:00pm
Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2019 iCompass Technologies Inc.